The G.U.I.D.E.S. (Guiding Underrepresented Individuals Developing Educational Success) Mentorship Program offers UCSB students an opportunity to mentor students at local high schools in the Goleta/Santa Barbara area. Please see below for descriptions of what we do!
We help students complete homework in various subjects, study for tests, and stay organized. You do not need to be any expert in any subject in order to help tutor the students!
Our weekly tutoring schedule is:
- Monday – Wednesday, 3:15 PM – 4:15 PM at San Marcos High School
- Friday, 11:25 AM – 12:25 PM at La Cuesta Continuation High School.
Our workshops focus on college-readiness activities including: developing a career plan, matching with colleges, and understanding requirements for each school. These workshops intend to provide students with enough information to plan for the future and to achieve their goals.
CAMP (College Advising and Mentorship Program) is an annual conference where we bring high school students on campus to experience the day in the life of a college student.
Every year we take our mentees on a three-day trip to visit college campuses in California. This trip is free for both mentors and mentees.
- Get TB tested and fingerprinted
- Commit to volunteering at least a total of 20 hours throughout the academic year
- Attend a mandatory mentor training
- Attend at least four A.S. S.I.R.R.C meetings throughout the academic year